This week I’ve had fun exploring articles on the web, and I’ve gathered together some crafty ideas and smart tips for gardeners to share with you. Seed starting tips, container gardening tips – there’s something for all home gardeners here!
12 Smart and Crafty Pages of Tips for Gardeners
1. Make your own paper pots for seed starting from newspaper (not shiny magazine pages). You can buy a tool for shaping the pots, or simply use a wine bottle (empty, of course.)
2. Here’s a crafty tip for growing tomatoes the string way – forget the cages and spiral supports. This is simple and it works!
3. A list (with photo slides) of 20 very clever gardening tips. I love #1, #5, #15 and #16 – What’s your favourite?
4. If you’re not yet on Pinterest, start exploring the pages, pictures and posts that gardeners from around the world are sharing here. Many great tips for gardeners are shared daily. Here’s a selection of tips and ideas gathered and pinned by Doug Harrington.
Have you set up your account so you can share your tips, books, photos with the world?
5. Use empty litre pop bottles to make your own self watering planters – from Cool DIY Ideas. This one will be a real time-saver for you, and is perfect for balcony or patio gardeners.
6. There’s lots to learn about seed starting in this article. The author includes photos and a video along with her tips and tricks. Don’t throw away those clear plastic containers with attached lids – they make super mini greenhouses to raise seeds.
7. And more tips for successful seed starting here:
8. Have you ever wondered what are the best vegetables or fruits to grow in containers? Here are some suggestions for you.
9. Gardening expert Mark Cullen answers six very common questions beginning gardeners ask in this article:
10. I often hear this question – Can anyone tell me what this plant is? – Find the answer to this common question asked on Facebook gardening groups and in gardening forums. Bing’s special page answers it for you.
11. Can you re-use your container potting soil from last year? Here’s the answer, with tips on how to ensure it is weed and pathogen-free and how to recharge the nutrients so your new plants are healthy and vigorous.
12. And here are a final 26 seriously useful gardening tips compiled to ensure your thumbs will be green! Everything from knowing your plant hardiness zone (so important) to how to start plants, how to keep your tools clean and sharp, and tips for efficient watering. You’ll love this one.
Have fun checking out these tips for gardeners, and let me know what you’ll put into practice this year.